Not all sea moss is created equally. Unlike other varieties of the herb, Dr Sebi sea moss was used by the eponymous healer and comes from a specific plant that grows in the Caribbean called Chondrus crispus.
While the names sea moss, irish moss, and Jamaican moss have all been used interchangeably, you need to make sure that you have the right species to get the benefits we talk about below.
As part of our monthly Replace and Rebuild initiative, we tracked down Black owned businesses that harvest, prepare, and sell all forms of Dr Sebi approved moss.
But before we explore authentic products, it’s important for you to understand how and why sea moss works.
Dr Sebi Sea Moss Benefits for Overall Health
Many members of the African Diaspora eat energy rich but nutrient poor diets. As a result, we consume a massive number of calories while failing to meet our vitamin and mineral requirements. This standard western diet has led to impotence, obesity, diabetes, and other diseases.
In fact, according to the Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture in the United States, approximately one-half of American adults have at least one preventable chronic disease. (Source)
The solution to this Black health crisis is to follow the admonitions of our Ancestors when they said “let your food be your medicine and let your medicine be your food”. We know that not all foods are created equally, but if there is one superfood that should be in every Black home it is Dr Sebi Sea Moss.
Sometimes called Irish moss, Dr Sebi Sea Moss is packed with many of the vitamins and minerals that are missing from western diets. These include:
- dietary fiber
- Vitamin K
- and Manganese.
And since sea moss is an algae, it is appropriate for all plant based diets, including the Melanin Diet.
By adding just one serving of Dr Sebi sea moss to your everyday diet, you are taking a strong step towards radiant health. And if you want to save time and effort, the following five pre-made packs of Dr Sebi sea moss are convenient and made by Black owned businesses.
Sea Moss Gel and Herbal Infusions
Dr Sebi Sea Moss Benefits for the Skin
What you eat has a strong influence on how you look. The western diet is filled with foods that cause premature aging, early wrinkles, and dull skin. Even worse, the products on western shelves are filled with known disease causing substances.
According to the findings published in this Daily Mail article, nearly 80% of hair products aimed at black women contain chemicals linked to cancer, infertility and obesity.
The article suggest that chemicals called parabens, which are used as preservatives, mimic oestrogen and may cause cancer, weight gain and reduced muscle mass.
And according to Vibe Magazine, this isn’t the first time that perilous ingredients in black hair care products have been exposed. In 2016, Black Women for Wellness concluded a five-year study that found similar results.
The full study names several products that contain toxic and possibly dangerous chemicals. Those products could cause any of the following conditions:
- Skin & eye irritation: It is estimated that 7 of 10 hair stylists will suffer from a form of work-related dermatitis in his/her career.
- Respiratory disorders: A study conducted in 2007 found that respiratory symptoms were more common among hairdressers as compared to the community at large.
- Obesogens: Obesogens are found in many of the chemicals used in shampoos, conditioners, and fragrances.
- Cancer: Chemicals found in hair relaxers, hair dyes, and straightening products have links to carcinogenic materials.
- Reproductive issues: Black women have rates of infant death 2.2 times higher than white women.
- Uterine fibroids: Chemical exposure through scalp lesions and burns caused by relaxers are linked with high fibroid tumor rates.
- Reproductive development: Girls who used chemical hair oils and hair perms were 1.4 times more likely to experience early puberty.
Your skin is also your body’s first line of defense against infection and intoxication in the environment. We know that an unbalanced diet, little or no exercise, stress, a lack of sleep, smoking, dehydration and certain medicines all influence skin and impact on its ability to operate as a protective barrier.
The best way to avoid the dangers mentioned above is to use all natural products that restore and maintain skin’s optimum pH, thus making it more resilient and less sensitive to environmental triggers. The stronger your skin, the better your quality of life.
Dr Sebi sea moss does all of the above and works like a plant based collagen treatment. There are hundreds of Youtube videos with testimonies from first-time testers like this one that will show and prove claims made:
So if you care about the health and quality of your skin, you should be using Dr. Sebi sea moss products regularly.
Here are a few that will get you started.
Sea Moss Lotion and Body Butters
Sea Moss Infused Soaps
Dr Sebi Sea Moss Benefits for Women’s Health
We have talked extensively about Dr Sebi sea moss benefits for men in this article, but there are also a number of health benefits for women, too.
According to this website, sea moss offers strong support to one of the most important glands in your body: the thyroid. Specifically, “this gland secretes hormones known as triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4). These hormones have effects on the human body that include:
- Increasing blood flow by directly increasing the rate and strength of the heartbeat.
- Increasing the growth rate of the developing brain cells in the fetus.
- Increasing the growth rate of young children.
- Playing a major role in thought patterns, sexual function, and sleep.
- Regulating central and peripheral nervous system function.
- Regulating menstrual cycle, and
- Controlling cholesterol levels.
Since iodine is abundant in Dr Sebi sea moss, consuming it on a daily basis means you are directly supporting critical reproductive and general health functions in your body.
Here are a few perfect yoni products made with Dr. Sebi approved ingredients.
Sea Moss Yoni Products
What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in your body. So support Black businesses and take advantage of the health benefits of real Dr Sebi approved sea moss!