You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Coronavirus War Room - How Has The Pandemic Has Affected You?

The Coronavirus has changed our lives forever - whether we were ready for it or not. The good news is that we can learn from this and use it as an opportunity to learn from and get closer to each other.

I have a few questions:

1. Where are you located (country) and do you think your local government has handled the outbreak well?
  2. What are you planning to do if the Coronavirus wipes out your income?
  3. How do you think we can use this to make our community (the Black community specifically) better and stronger?

Start a thread below and include your response.

I am in Uganda, the local government is trying to handle the situation through the lockdown which is good step towards slowing the spread of the virus but on the other side it is seriously affecting the poor who gets their bread on daily basis

In case it wipes out I will try to get other way of coping with life though which is not yet visible

I think it's one of the valuable lessons which strengthen us in terms of planning for better existence to consider and expect such tragedies in our future strategies to have space for creating greater awareness about the dangers and their impacts on our community to enable the vigilantce

Quote from Mohammed Yagoub on April 4, 2020, 2:18 pm

I am in Uganda, the local government is trying to handle the situation through the lockdown which is good step towards slowing the spread of the virus but on the other side it is seriously affecting the poor who gets their bread on daily basis

In case it wipes out I will try to get other way of coping with life though which is not yet visible

I think it's one of the valuable lessons which strengthen us in terms of planning for better existence to consider and expect such tragedies in our future strategies to have space for creating greater awareness about the dangers and their impacts on our community to enable the vigilantce

Asante for taking the time to update us on what is going on in Uganda. I thought Uganda was fertile and had plenty of food growing wild. Is that not the case? How many people depend on the government for food and what does the government offer there?

Yeah it does have fertile land but in this case there are two categories of poor those of the rural who farm and depend on it as the main means of survival and the urban ones whose survival is based on daily hustles other than farming ones as you have said rural ones might not be affected the way urban poor ones who get their meals on daily basis from their day to day hustles  which is currently out of reach to them because of what is going on around the world

There were no certain known number of people who were depending on the government for basic support prior to COVID-19 incident but this Saturday government identified the most vulnerable communities and distributed some food items

Where are you located (country) and do you think your local government has handled the outbreak well?

I am located in Oakland, California and the government here has issued a shelter-in-place order until May 1, 2020. With my background in direct patient healthcare, and my passionate familiarity with medical literature and Black scholarship, this to me was probably the best move in terms of containment and prevention.

Concerning business operations and the consequent economic decline, the shelter-in-place has contributed to a sense of panic for people here. As I see fewer cars on the road, schools closed, sporting/entertainment events canceled, and worry increase, I feel the longer this shelter-in-place order is in effect, the more tense folks will become, and like the period following the 9/11 Attacks I'm afraid, more people will be open to new laws/policies being implemented for "their safety."

What are you planning to do if the Coronavirus wipes out your income?

Since I am considered a semi-essential employee (hospital) for now, I have been reduced to using paid-time off, extended sick leave, and work from home, status when reporting my timecard. My primary responsibilities depend on the schools here, and obviously, those schools are not in sessions. I have been reassigned to Employee Screenings at my hospital, but that's 2-3x per week.

Fortunately, I have been an ACTIVE member of the Pan-African Alliance for close to 5 years. I can proudly say I have listened/read all the content in this library at least once, and most of it, probably dozens of time.

From Day 1, the message has been the same.

1. Start your side-hustle.
  2. Build your side-hustle to an enterprise.
  3. Rebuild your thinking.

And that is EXACTLY what I have done. From the first time I heard the revolutionary podcast (the Jay Morrison episode), I could hear the difference from all the other so-called conscious programming content out there. This one had a mission, and with my natural skeptic mind (scientific process), I immediately knew the information here would be invaluable.

Now I have 2 businesses and although it has not replaced my income, I have a thorough and complete understanding of what I have to do, and what I COULD DO, in order to live comfortably. Since coming into consciousness here, I have learned not to panic or worry about nothing. Since discovering the lessons here, I have married a brilliant Queen, bought my first house, started 2 businesses, lost 55 lbs of excess fat, emboldened my family with leadership, guidance, and direction, and prepared for anything to come!

How do you think we can use this to make our community (the Black community specifically) better and stronger?

The episode with Irritated Genie said, "there is a time for leaders to lead" in reference to lessons learned from Ferguson, and NFL players kneeling for the Anthem. Those were missed opportunities, he said. This time now is another opportunity.

From a healthcare perspective, most people are uninformed about their own body. Their view is so limited and unimaginably shortsighted. As a healthcare provider, I am no longer surprised how many people get their medical information from People Magazine. Part of that problem is because medical information is 1) hard to read, and 2) difficult to access.

From a Black and conscious healthcare perspective, the problem is that many people are uninformed about how to decipher what is valuable or not. This solely stems from the fact that We largely source our information from Europeanized media. And if you recognize this, then the message will ALWAYS be against your (Black) interest. And likely, that information will be incorrect. Yes, INCORRECT!

What We have to understand is 1) this health information does not necessarily pertain to us, as it is largely not protective of us, and 2) the information does not molecularly, biologically, genetically, nor epidemiologically bond to our system's. In other words, the recommendations that come from the CDC and WHO are based entirely on outcomes from European (Hispanic including) and Asian populations -- not Africans. You must never forget this. Our environments, with the obvious exceptions of existing illnesses or disease, are NOT the same, and we interact with infectious exposures quite differently than other groups. There is an entire segment of medicine dedicated to this area called; precision medicine.

In summary, I wake up every morning and can't wait to get online and continue buildign my business systems, checking in with Family and loved ones, and try to spread messages of HOPE. When I encounter Sisters and Brothers with gloves and N95 masks, I engage them, and try to reassure them, to focus on the other side of this pandemic. Never forget your bodies' first line of defense is the immune system, and all the technology you need -- you already have it! While other groups are scrambling trying to figure out a vaccine (a whole nother topic), you already have the solution in you. Just nurture what you have, and continue to build on what you can.

Thank you, very inspiring