The Pan African Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My Black Wealth Journey From Zero To Five Figure Selloff

Week 1 - Planning, Strategy, and Preparation

The Pan African Forum

My goal for this website is to sell it off for $10,000 or more.

According to Forbes:

Depending on the type of website, a good general rule of thumb is 24-36x the monthly revenue. So if your website makes $1,000 per month, a good range for its value would be $24,000 to $36,000.

Lets assume I am able to negotiate half of that number above -  12x the monthly revenue. So to sell my site for $10,000 I would need to generate $833.33 per month from the site. Thats my monthly goal.

To achieve that I will use two forms of monetization: Affiliate marketing - through a network like Clickbank - and Google Adsense. Thats it. Nothing crazy.

There are three groups that I need to make happy:

Group 1: The Internet Gods

Corporations and governments control the internet. It is what it is. So I have to start with making sure I am compliant with regulations (like having Privacy policies, disclaimers, and GDPR privacy notices up). I also have to make sure I am doing everything in my power to play nice with Google and social media sites. They control how many people see my site in search results. And since governments are strict with health sites, I wont be able to stay online for long if I am getting crushed with lawsuits or takedown notices from jump.

Group 2: My End-Buyer

The goal of this project is to sell this website off for $10,000 or more. So I am keeping the end in mind as I work. I want to make it as fast and as easy as possible for a buyer to do their due diligence, take over the project, and run it with as little effort as possible.

Group 3: My Audience

The Pan African Forum

This site has to be useful, accurate, and well designed. I want to provide my audience with products, services, and information that help them solve their physical and mental problems with real natural solutions.  

So now that I know who I am working for, I can start planning.

The Plan

Here is what I plan on doing for each of the groups above...

My Plan For The Internet Gods

There are two things I need to do to accommodate the Internet Gods (the governments and corporations that control the internet).

1. Have all my compliance in order
  2. Practice good, Google-based SEO practices

Compliance includes:

• A Privacy Policy is so important that there are several laws around the world that require you to have it on your blog no matter where you reside.
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimers
  • Disclosures for Affiliate Links and Sponsorships
  • GDPR compliance

SEO Practices include

My Plan For End Buyers

When I sold my first two companies, it was almost by accident. People randomly emailed me asking if I was interested in selling. This time I will be deliberate with my efforts. So I did some research to figure out

Since my end buyer will want a site that they wont have to put much work into, I wont put much work into the site myself. I will put my work into building my system and let that do the heavy lifting for me. In fact, I will only put 5 hours per week maximum into this site. That means I need to outsource as much as possible. If it takes longer than 10 minutes for me to do, I am outsourcing that to Fiverr or other resources.

The Pan African Forum

I will be documenting my system using a Google Doc. At the end of this project, I will just give the link to that document to my end buyer, giving them a turn-key system that they wont have to put any thought or effort into.

I will also create a Google Spreadsheet that will serve as my Profit and Loss statement. You should have something that shows not only how much money you have earned but also how much money you spent to earn that money. Thats what a P&L Statement does.

Finally, I will track everything through Google Analytics. That way when I come across an interested buyer, I have proof that my site is performing well.

My Plan For My Audience

First and foremost, I need to create a few buyer personas. I am going to be using my own guide to do this... From Side Hustle To Enterprise. 

Once I know who my supporters are going to be,  need to do four things for them:

1. Capture their attention. To catch their attention, I need to use the right words. I need to know what my audience is out there searching for, and create content that matches those searches. Thats where keyword research comes into play.
  2. Build their interest by educating them on solutions and by illustrating how those solutions will solve a specific problem. I have to to make the problem personal so that I am only speaking to the prospect and no one else.
  3. Develop their desire to solve their problem by explaining to prospects that the problem they face is negatively affecting their lives. I will do this with storytelling or another method that makes the individual “feel” their pressing issue, leading them to seek out a definite solution. Here is where I will explain the features of specific affiliate products or services and all the related benefits. I am going to illustrate how the benefits will fulfill my audiences needs. They should be able to see how my offerings can make their lives better
  4. Help them take action by showing them exactly how my offerings can solve their problems and giving them a clear call to action in the form of a deal. I need to also create a sense of urgency by offering the deal for a limited time or by including a special bonus to those who act fast.

Once I know my keywords, I am going to get as much written content based around those keywords in production right away, within the first month. I am going to worry about video and maybe a limited, 10 episode podcast later on if I need to and if I feel like it.

Execution - Time To Get To Work

The Pan African Forum

Based on all that above, here is my to do list for this week.

Group 1 Tasks

• Publish my Privacy Policy
  • Publish my Disclaimers
  • Publish my Disclosures for Affiliate Links and Sponsorships
  • Establish GDPR compliance
  • Set up Google Analytics

Group 2 Tasks

• Set up my Google doc, spreadsheet, and folders for my end buyers

Group 3 Tasks

• Create the buyer personas for my audience
  • Complete in-depth keyword research for attention, interest, desire, and action

Thats it. Once I have the above in place, I can make intelligent decisions about what the site design and layout should be. Most people start of with design, then start filling it up with random content. Thats ass backwards. Instead, I want to know that there is a large, hungry audience out there. I want to know exactly what they want and exactly how they want it. Then I create what they want and I give it to them. Thats something that a fancy design alone wont accomplish. Be back next week with the next update.

Dwa Asad, I am here. I have read the case study and your moves for the week. Asante for sharing the journey.

Week 2 Update - Lay Waste To Obstacles That Stand In My Way

Last week flew by, but I killed it. I laid waste to my goals so thoroughly I am starting to think I can get even more done.

The Pan African Forum

Solid planning gives me the confidence I need in this project. I learned alot about the people out there looking for natural remedies, and that helped me create my two buyer personas:

My Buyer Personas

According to my research, my buyer personas tend to be the 75 million Americans between the ages of 23 and 38 (as of this year). This group is 30 percent of the US population and total 21,750,000 million potential users. Here are the top illnesses they suffer from and are seeking natural solutions for:

• Depression
  • High blood pressure
  • Hyperactivity (and sleeplessness)
  • Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
  •  High cholesterol
  • Anxiety
  • Type 2 diabetes (both pre and existing) and endocrine conditions 
  • Erectile dysfunction (men)

Millenials are more depressed (facts), sicker, and fatter than previous generations. This has to do with the Western diet of course, and social media - social media is making people depressed because they feel lonely and they are under the illusion that everyone is living a better life than them.

The Pan African Forum

And according to this article, Millennials are rejecting primary care physicians. They also have below average employment due to students and homemakers, so they are looking for cheap solutions to expensive pharmaceuticals.

Speaking of pharma - they feel like store bought or manufactured solutions to their problems are deceptive, exploitative, or do more harm than good. They want to go organic, but they feel like its too expensive (whole foods = whole paycheck). 

So the content I create will focus on natural health remedies to sickness, natural solutions for depression and anxiety, better sleep, and better sexual performance for men.

What I Got Done Last Week

What I got done last week

• Publish my Privacy Policy
  • Publish my Disclaimers
  • Publish my Disclosures for Affiliate Links and Sponsorships
  • Establish GDPR compliance
  • Set up Google Analytics
  • Set up my Google doc, spreadsheet, and folders for my end buyers
  • Create the buyer personas for my audience
  • Complete in-depth keyword research for attention, interest, desire, and action

What I Will Do Next Week

It is NOT time to design the site yet.

Again - most people start with design and end with trying to find traffic and visitors. This is ass backwards. If you give people the information they want then they will find you. They will come to you, not the other way around. So I am going to have all the content on the site first and later I will worry about design.

✓ Set up Bing and Yandex webmaster tools and crawlers

✓ Document or systematize everything I did last week so my end-buyer sees the process I went through to collect my research and get shit done.

✓ Now that I have keywords that people are looking for, I am going to use the Coschedule Headline Analyzer (https://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer)  to create 40 (yes 40!) different headlines for articles. So every day, I will create 7 headlines (6 days/40 headlines = 6.6 headlines per day). Dope headlines are very important. It's the only reason most people even click! Plus, once I have my headlines in place I can hire a designer to create 40 Pinterest pin images and other social media images while I work on the rest of the content.

Successes, Failures, and Frustrations

It's too early in the game for successes and failures, but I do have a frustration. Its managing the tools that increase the speed and performance of my site. There are three elements - as far as I understand it:

1. Caching plugins - I use three different caching plugins: WP Rocket, Fastest Cache, and WP Super Cache. I also use other plugins to keep the site fast - like database plugins. Which one works the best? Which ones can replace other plugins I use (like an all-in-one speed plugin)? I want to use as few plugins as possible to reduce the chances of a plugin breaking the site or slowing it down (that happens alot).
  2. CDN - This is a content delivery network. The idea is that if you can put your data on other servers closer to the end user, you can speed up delivery time for your end user and that makes your site better in the eyes of the Internet gods. But every time I have used Cloudflare I would get errors like the one below. So my frustration is finding a free CDN that plays well with my other plugins and my site. The Pan African Forum
  3. Image hosting and delivery - Big, heavy images slow down websites more than almost anything else. And I like to use a lot of images. So I need to find one free (or cheap) solution for optimizing my images and hosting them.

I am going to reach out to my mentor to get answers to the above questions, but if anyone following this journal has solutions, let me know.

Im getting back to work. Ima holla at you all next week.

The Pan African Forum

Asante, your journaling provides excellent insight to both starting a business and effective journaling. I am learning my way around the forum as well.

This is definitely motivation! I find myself making excuses for why my site is not at all where it needs to be.

Quote from Plant-Fed Family on December 6, 2019, 9:51 am

This is definitely motivation! I find myself making excuses for why my site is not at all where it needs to be.

@plantfed I believe your excuses are valid. For instance, you might make the excuse that you dont have time. The solution? Outsource. You might geel like its too complicated. The solution? Identify a small problem that you can solve to make progress on your site. 'I dont know how to write blog posts' might be true, so study other sites and copy the style and structure you see there.

What I am saying is write down your excuses, analyze them, and develop solutions to them.

And most importantly - dont give up. You have a growing family to inspire!

Week 3 Update - Clearing the Warpath

Every day the path gets a little clearer.

Every day victory gets a little closer.

Every day my vision and my instincts become sharper.

The doubt is still there though. Not just with this project, but with life. Last night I took a long walk and beat up myself for not being farther along. I let myself slide into a dark place. Sometimes this journey feels like going through a storm that never ends.

The Pan African Forum

But  I must continue. People are watching. My family has expectations. I have victory permanently written across my chest. What would it look like if I failed?

I cant.

I finished out 33 out of 40 of the headlines I set out to write. Here is the list.

The Pan African Forum

I am short about 10 because I did not write any 'Action' headlines - headlines designed exclusively to get people to buy a very specific product. Why? Because I don't know what products are out there yet. So I will save those headlines once all the rest of the content is ready.

Sidebar - If you dont know what I mean by 'Action' articles, I am talking about the AIDA funnel. This is how you take people from just being interested in what you are doing to actually making a purchase or taking an action. Review the AIDA steps by clicking on my Week 1 update here: Week 1 - Planning, Strategy, and Preparation

What I Will Do Next Week

Speed makes the IGs happy. So there are a few things I need to make that happen:

• Theme designed with speed in mind.
  • Server configuration (PHP 7.3+, HTTP/2, fast TTFB, Gzip, etc.)
  • Server Caching + Browser Caching, and
  • Image optimization  & lazy loading - Images are the biggest speed changer. I need to make sure I am not loading gigantic images only to show them as tiny. And I definitely need to run them through an optimizer.

So this week I will ...

✓ I already have a lightning fast but super plain looking theme. Plain looking isnt an issue for me. In fact, these pretty-ass websites perform much worse than the plain looking ones. I am in this for results, not aesthetics. Anyway, this week I will finish setting up the theme I have. No logos, nothing major. Just setting up the widgets, colors, and structure.

✓ Hire someone to Set up Server Caching + Browser Caching. I am going to use Fiverr for this

✓ Set up Kraken.io and their API, and the Wordpress plugin that makes it all work.

The most important thing to my end buyer besides money is the system I use to generate that cash. At this stage, the most important person I can bring into the system is a writer or a writing company. So my task this week is to...

✓ Compile a list of agencies and companies that specialize in writing well researched articles. The company has to be able to give me articles in html format according to my specifications. Later I will try each of them out by giving each of them one of the headlines above along with my specifications. The best agency will get my business and will be added to my system permanently. So all my end buyer will need to do is use some of the revenue from the site to occasionally add new content or build out keywords I may have missed.

Now that I know who I am serving, what keywords they are looking for, and what headlines I can use to reach those people, I need to know who else is on the battlefield - their strengths, their weaknesses, and how they set up their kingdoms. So that I can take them out. They wont see me coming.

The Pan African Forum

So this week I will...

✓ Do competitive analysis on the top 50 non-institutional websites that are targeting the same personas that I am.

Last week I was supposed to set up webmaster tools. I am going to hold up on that until I actually have content on the site. I dont want search engines to index an empty site.

I got lost asf doing keyword research. I kept confusing interest keywords for decision keywords and I am still not even confident I got it right. I need to study up on the AIDA concept to make sure I really have it down. I also need to refresh my copyrighting knowledge. I plan on buying a bunch of books and courses until I drill copy into my head.

Staying focused is frustrating too. I use the Pomodoro Method (I talk about this in the 5 Elements Course) and it works - when I use it. Sometimes I tell myself to just power through my work for hours at a time and that shit does not work. I burn out far earlier than I do when I take intermittent breaks so I gotta stay obedient to what I know works.

Time for me to get back to work. Be back next Saturday.

The Pan African Forum

P.S. Keeping this journal is definitely keeping me on track. I must confess that I would not have gotten as much done on this project without this journal as accountability. Fr.

Week 4 Update - Assemble The Troops And Weapons

Its time for me to assemble the team and the tools that I will need to succeed. I am the General, so I set the strategy and the outcome. I lead. My troops will execute the tactics.

The Pan African Forum

The reason not a single article has been written and a single logo or social media account has been created is because as the General that is not my job. Besides, I need to create this system for my end buyers which means getting others to carry out those tasks. End buyers wont want to deal with something they have to be hands on with every step of the way. Frankly, neither do I.

Here is how I am going to set up the army:

The Troops

These are the people I need to run the business.

• An SEO
    • Why I need them: Not only will they serve as my Webmaster, they will identify new threats and opportunities for me while executing my keyword strategy. They will also be my ad manager. I could be asking too much of one position, but I dont know what a good SEO is capable of, so I will see.
  • A Social Media Manager
    • Why I need them: Coordinate with other troops to collect leads from social media platforms. Not to create brand awareness - to create leads. I want every person who so much as breathes on a tweet that I publish to be added to our email list.
  • A writer
    • Why I need them: Blog posts, emails, headlines, ebooks - anything that can be written will be written by them.
  • A graphic designer 
    • Why I need them: I need them to create quote images, the logo, tshirts and merch graphics, social media posts, infographics, social media header images, and anything else I can think of.

The Process

So if this is going to work, I will need to onboard each member properly - showing them how I want them to fit into the system and what I expect of them. So I need to build the system out and then create thorough training videos for the troops.

I also need to set up a single workspace for all the troops. One place for all workers to get their orders and place their work. I have been using Trello for years so I am going with what I know.

The Pan African Forum

So the only place where tasks will be posted and overviewed will be here. The only place my team will store images or other files will be Wordpress. I dont want to use Dropbox because it costs money and I dont want to move files into and out of Dbox constantly which I find myself doing often. I also want the troops to report their KPIs to me each week or month, so I will also need to create a spreadsheet for each position that has the KPIs (key performance indicators) listed.

So the processes will look like this:

For Writers

Writers hired and onboarded --> Writer is given the category, primary keyword, and intent --> Writer completes the article and formats it using the template I give them --> Writer saves article as a draft on the website for my review -->>>Here is a bottleneck - who reviews the article? What if I am on vacation or sick? I need to hire and train an editor! <<<

For SEO

SEO hired and onboarded --> SEO is aligned with my very specific macro goals ---> SEO refines existing keyword strategy ---> SEO arranges text and image content on site in alignment with keyword strategy --> SEO uses paid ads to drive traffic ---> SEO manually updates KPIs regularly

For Graphic Designers

GD hired and onboarded---> aligned with my very specific macro goals ---> SMM is trained in Brand management

For Social Media Managers

SMM Hired and onboarded ---> SMM aligned with my very specific macro goals ---> SMM is trained in Brand management ---> SMM creates profiles and uses the Graphic designers to create posts, headers, etc ---> SMM schedules regular automated posts as required ---> MM manually updates KPIs regularly, including what texts and images are performing the best and worst, and what platforms are delivering

I could also just hire a Project Manager for everything, teach them how to manage the 4 troops above, give them a monthly budget, and leave it alone. That way instead of having 4 people to manage, I would just have one. I will consider that option later. Maybe I can find that one person from among the 4 that I hire above.

✓ Set up my theme

✓ Set up an image optimization system. Instead of using Kraken, I am using Shortpixel because it is more automated and user friendly.

✓ Did competitive analysis on the top 30 non-institutional websites that are targeting the same personas that I am. I was supposed to do 50, but a handful of big names dominates the field, so there were fewer legitimate competitors.

✓ Compiled a list of 50 agencies and companies that specialize in writing well researched articles. Just a few are listed below

The Pan African Forum

What I Will Do Next Week

Ok, since I didn't set up caching or any other speed and compression systems to make the site faster and lighter, my gtmetrix stats look like this...

The Pan African Forum

So let me quit playing games and hire a Fiverr provider to fix this mess before I start uploading content. I did not hire anyone on Fiverr to speed up my site last week because I tried that in the past and the virtual assistant destroyed my ad revenue. Turns out it was an iframe issue, so now that I know that I can try with a different provider while showing them what settings to avoid.

✓ Add compression, minification, etc to speed up site

✓ Set up Trello, KPI spreadsheets for each position, and a permission based system on the wordpress website so when my writers log in they only have access to the parts of my site that they need to see

I will need to onboard each member properly - showing them how I want them to fit into the system and what I expect of them. So I need to build the system out and then create thorough training videos for the troops.

I also need to set up a single workspace for all the troops. One place for all workers to get their orders and place their work. I have been using Trello for years so I am going with what I know.

✓ Use last weeks competitive analysis and my buyer personas to create a brand identity. That will include colors, symbols, fonts, etc. Once I have that I can make sure every image and text reflects my brand identity.

Every time I start to do a task myself, I have to stop myself. For instance, I want to start writing all those articles. I cant

I want to do my own keyword research. I cant.

I want to set up my own optimization plugins to speed up my site. I cant.

I cant do any of the work here.

The Pan African Forum

If this thing is to work, I have to take myself off the front line. I cant - and shouldnt - be doing everything. I need to get out of the way and manage the troops.

This is hard for every business owner. We all think 'why cant I just do this myself?' and 'If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself'. But we only have so much time in a day, and we might be unconscious of our incompetence. (Thinking about this podcast) In other words, I might think I know what I am doing but I dont, so I will waste time doing it only to pay someone to come back through and fix my stupidity. And when it comes to doing things right by doing them myself? The solution is this: 'If you want something done right you gotta train someone to do it right.'

Thats it for this week. Be back on Saturday.

Week 5 Update - Base Work

✓ Got my page speed and performance up. Look upon my works ye mighty and despair.

The Pan African Forum

✓ Set up Trello, KPI spreadsheets for each position, and a permission based system on the wordpress website so when my writers log in they only have access to the parts of my site that they need to see. 

✓ Last week I said I would use last weeks competitive analysis and my buyer personas to create a brand identity. That will include colors, symbols, fonts, etc. Once I have that I can make sure every image and text reflects my brand identity.

What I Will Do Next Week

✓ Set up my content Silo. I dont want to go into what a SILO is, but if you are interested in learning about them you can learn more by watching this video.

✓ Write job descriptions for each member of my team that outline my project goals, KPIs, how my system works, and what I need from the applicant. I will then use these descriptions to scout for new project team members and recruit writers from that list of 50 services I found.

✓ Get a logo designed

✓ Get my ad placements set up

My biggest frustration is setting up tests and tracking systems. I know I need to measure which color buttons convert better and which social media platforms are giving me my best conversions. But setting up tracking for all this data and keeping up with it is already frustrating and I havent even started. There are solutions out there and when I find them I will report back.

Thats it for this week.

Week 6 Update - The Real Work Begins

While everyone is out here spending money and time like its the end of the world, I am putting in more work than ever before. I laid waste to every obstacle in my way this week and crushed every single task I set out to do.

Because I understand what most people dont - victory happens before you step foot on the battlefield.

The Pan African Forum

And while everybody talks about how sh*tty their 2019 was - while bullshi*tting themselves about how GREAT 2020 will be for them, I am squeezing every last bit of progress out of every minute. Regardless of what year it is.

✓ Set up my content Silo

✓ Write job descriptions for each member of my team that outline my project goals, KPIs, how my system works, and what I need from the applicant.  Here is an example of one of the job descriptions I created for writers...

Writers

We are looking for writers for a website that gives our readers information on nature based solutions and home remedies that can solve their biggest health challenges. We provide you with the article keywords, the format we use, and the intent. You provide us with clear, easy to read how to articles, guides, case studies, FAQs, and product reviews that help people solve their biggest health challenges.

You must have the following three skills:

Excellent written english skills. Your articles must be able to pass copyscape with zero grammatical errors.

Good research abilities. You will be asked to research, write about, and cite sources related to health, diet, and supplements. 

Average Wordpress skills. You need to be comfortable with Wordpress Gutenberg editor or visual composer. We use wordpress as our content management system. We will ask you to log into Wordpress and to save your article as a draft there. We do not accept emails, files, or attachments. 

How We Grade Your Blog Posts  

We use 5 criteria to grade each blog post: 

Copyscape Plagiarism/ content uniqueness score

Readability score

Grammar and content structure score

Headline Score

SEO Score

Once you come onto our team, we will give you access to the tools you will need to check these scores along with the standards we have for each category. If you already use tools for any of the scores above, let us know. 

Our System 

We use a Project Management System called Podio to manage our business. Regardless of the platform you are currently on (Fiverr, Upwork, Elance, Onlinejobs.ph), you will be asked to use our in-house platform to update us on the status of your work, get revisions, and ask or answer questions. 

If you have read all of the above, you agree to using our system to deliver your work, and you are ready to build a long term relationship, please reply with the words ‘I AM IN’ along with any other questions you have. 

Thats how I am going to get the first squad members together.

The Pan African Forum

✓ Get a logo designed

✓ Get my ad placements set up

What I Will Do Next Week

✓ The only thing I can do going forward is getting content up. Once that is done I will have some juice for search engines

✓ I found a new way to manage my team. For years I have been using Trello, Asana, other platforms. But I took one of Jay Morrison's courses and he introduced me to Podio (https://podio.com/). Changed my real estate business and my life!

Sidebar: The Black community can be dumb asf sometimes. Jay Morrisons teachings have made me more money than Boyce (yes I took his classes too), Tariq (what financial advice?), and these other ADOS clowns. Yet he gets shut down at Diddy's Revolt, clowned by Tariq, and ignored by everyone else. The richest one out of all of us and everybody is trying to judge him in the context of this ADOS and media driven stupidity. SMH. Anyway.....

In 2020 I am rolling out Podio for everything I do. Its free and stupid effective. So this week I will set up a Podio workspace for my team.

✓ Now that I have job descriptions for each member of my team that outline my project goals, KPIs, how my system works, and what I need from the applicant, I can start prospecting for writers, Social media managers, etc. This week, I will contact a minimum of 20 agencies or virtual workers to find the right people to add to the project.

Managing my energy is just as important as managing my time. By taking into account the periods of time during the day when I am most and least productive, I am able to put the right kinds of tasks in the right time slots. Doing so is the reason I was able to crush my goals this week.

With that being said, I have been thinking about whether this project is what the internet really needs. There are a lot of blogs out there that offer health advice. But this needs to be something more. It needs to be a tool - not just a bunch of content. So I am thinking about adding a new dimension to this project that Im not going to discuss until it is done because copycats.

The Pan African Forum

Thats it for this week. Be back next year (lol).