You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Jewels Thread

Here is a place where we can break down The Jewels podcast. I would like to know what are people getting from them, and how they are applying the information into their lives.

Quote from Igbotic on January 16, 2020, 8:57 am

Here is a place where we can break down The Jewels podcast. I would like to know what are people getting from them, and how they are applying the information into their lives.

The Jewels podcasts in a way or the other are enabling us to re-define ourselves; who we are, our purpose in life, mission and vision, and how we can get to our destination.

The 2020 Shift Episode

I want to dedicate a comment to the Physical Element of this podcast. 

2:35  - Around this timestamp, there is a discussion about the physical benefits of fasting and detox. I am impressed and happy with the amount of complex physiological information that is simplified for inexperienced readers.

As someone who isn't professionally trained in this subject, I give major props to Asad for giving listeners a crash course in Human Physiology and Biology on a high level. Your academic research is clear and I beg listeners to follow this advice. Well done!

It took me years and many semesters to process topics like liver and kidney metabolism, to finally understand and be able to articulate what happens when you eat, how does your body store energy aka sugar aka carbohydrates, how does your brain utilize energy, how does your body convert muscle, fat, and sugar into energy during starvation (fasting), and why...WHY FASTING WILL NOT KILL YOU. 

During fasting, your body will continue to produce energy, because after all, you have to remain alive right?

When you fast or don't eat for a while, for instance, if you have a little extra bad fat around the waist, then the fat you do have will be converted into energy by a process called glycolysis. This is your body's built-in survival system. Glycolysis is the metabolic breakdown, or conversion, of fat stores into glucose, aka sugar aka energy, mainly for your brain. Think about it practically -- if you suddenly couldn't eat for long periods, then you absolutely need to make rational decisions regarding how to obtain your next meal. In order to remain a rational thinker, your brain must continously recieve this energy to be functional, and that energy source comes from your stored fat reserves. And this leads to other important point, like, where are your FATS coming from? Twix candy bars or healthy avocados? Because the fat is stored for so long as a secondary source of energy once FASTING has begun, your body doesn't use this FAT until it needs it during what your body may "perceive" as an emergency (i.e. starvation). I hope that makes sense, but I may be able to break that down even further if not. (sidebar: your muscle tissue can also be converted into energy, such as an IMMEDIATE source, but that's for another lesson related to performance athletes such as 100m olympic sprinters).

Speaking of digesting, the part about bad breath that you will experience, that is a process that happens called ketosis, again just a side effect of your body using fat as energy instead of glucose (aka sugar aka carbohydrates) as energy. Once you are fasting, expect the ketones (again a byproduct of fat breakdown) to be elevated in the bloodstream, causing your breath to smell like acetone. This will smell and taste like funky fruit. Don't trip, you are doing the right thing!

The last point I loved was the explanation of the hormone Ghrelin. For the record, it's pronounced like grail-lin (think Holy Grail), rather than gree-lin (like the color gree-n). But who cares how it's pronounced? The information is what matters to us!

Ghrelin is what your hormonal system naturally produces to signal to your body, "it's time to eat." Think about your stomach "growling" when it's producing ghrelin. This hormone is floating around in your bloodstream all the time. The amount of the levels of the hormone is what signals hunger. Once your stomach is emptied, then ghrelin is produced more in the bloodstream by your brain, which tells you it's time to eat again.

Now, let's think -- if there is a hormone that tells your body it's time to BEGIN to eat, then there has to be an opposite hormone that tells your body it's time to STOP eating. That hormone is called Leptin. For this particular discussion, it's not too important to go into what leptin is, and how it's regulated. But I absolutely have to point out one important thing about leptin - there are certain foods that contain leptin inhibitors. In other words, your body doesn't know when to STOP eating. Think about Lays chips, which tells you right in their slogan, "once you pop, you can't stop."

Okay because this is getting long-winded I will wrap it up. In conclusion, the information in this Jewel is not only academically accurate and exact, it's extremely complex, but Asad has conveyed this message for us to digest (no pun intended) very easily. There are probably hundreds of college Biology students who could benefit from this translation. I know I sure would have gotten through that chapter easier if I had this!

well done comrade... I personally learn from such everyday

Rattlesnakes and Water Moccassins

13:25 timestamp

"This is why I can appreciate real white racists. Because they let you know where they stand. You don't make the mistake of letting them slide up next to you quietly. They let you know. 'I don't like you. Don't want to be anywhere near you,' and that's cool. Now I can move accordingly. We have a honest relationship..."

I love this excerpt because it gives us a perfect moment to illustrate how important it is to distinguish between racism and hate. Racism is an action, and hate is an emotion. These two are not the same. (For the record; I completely comprehend the context which this was used during the Jewels lol. It's just an example, I know)

Similarly to the difference between racism and hate, there was a segment of the Jewels at the 6:00 timestamp that described the difference between a hater and an enemy. I found this explanation to be extremely helpful. A hater is someone who does not like you, and also does not have the power to hurt you. On the other hand, an enemy does not like you, but has the desire AND power to hurt you. While an ally, in contrast, may possess the power to hurt you, but does not necessarily have the desire to.

So, thanks to Dr. Claud Anderson who clearly and concisely defines racism, and puts racism in the real-life practical context, now as I reflect on the above excerpt, more specifically the "appreciation of real white racists," it reinforces Dr. Claud Anderson's point, that...

"Black people still don't understand what racism is. That's why after 400 years, they don't do anything about it."

And therefore, we largely confuse hate, bigotry, bias, with -- racism. And they're not the same.

The quote and scenario above is an example of hate; not racism.

What Black people globally must understand is, racism has nothing to do with 'not liking' somebody. We get caught up so much with getting along with other people. And yes, that is a good thing because we are cooperative and forgiving people. We are the most forgiving people next to Native Americans. But to Dr. Anderson's point, we must cooperate with eachother first, thus, exercising our form of competition for power, privileges, and resources -- like every other group practices!

In other words, Black people largely may 'not like' other populations for what they've done to us, how they treat us in their stores, names they call us behind our backs and in the media, and ways in which they exploit us, but simply 'not liking' other groups again, IS NOT, racism. This also refutes the false idea of a Black racist, which according to Dr. Anderson, is impossible because we don't OWN or CONTROL anything in order to exercise the racism! We can't keep you from getting an education, a home loan, or becoming incarcerated, etc.

Racism is a team sport, either play as a team, or lose. And with the recent ABC News report that 50% of America's Homeless are Black, we are losing.

Rattlesnakes and Water Moccassins

Quote from Igbotic on January 24, 2020, 4:35 pm
In other words, Black people largely may 'not like' other populations for what they've done to us, how they treat us in their stores, names they call us behind our backs and in the media, and ways in which they exploit us, but simply 'not liking' other groups again, IS NOT, racism.

Well said! I was trying to explaine this to some one a while ago. This podcast definately clearified the what I was trying to explaine back then. The clearification between enemies and haters was great too.

Quote from Plant-Fed Family on January 25, 2020, 2:25 am

Well said! I was trying to explaine this to some one a while ago. This podcast definately clearified the what I was trying to explaine back then. The clearification between enemies and haters was great too.

Thank you. I find myself struggling to explain why "Black people cannot be racist" in a society where we largely do not control anything, and more importantly, it has more to do with confusion between racism, and 'getting along' with people. I'm happy you understood that.

After I heard Dr. Anderson's explanation, it really helped to understand the concept. It took years to find his philosophies and it really clicked once his practical thoughts shed some light onto it.

Deep

This week's Jewel podcast really resonated with me. I find myself talking about how distracted I am all of the time, but I’m not going “deep” enough to fix the problem. There was a time when I got rid of my TV and turned the cable off to eliminate some of that distraction. Today’s technology will make sure you get interested in something else or find a way to entertain yourself.

In my current situation, I find myself getting distracted by the people I surround myself with. I truly feel that I am on this journey alone (have been for a while) and I allow that to distract me. I find myself giving more attention to things I am not concerned with, because no one is concerned about the same things I am. This jewel reminded how off course I have become from distractions. I am here to seek more and I can’t keep wasting my time. Thanks for this one Asad. ??

”Attention allows you to disassemble illusion.”

Quote from Plant-Fed Family on February 10, 2020, 9:43 am

In my current situation, I find myself getting distracted by the people I surround myself with. I truly feel that I am on this journey alone (have been for a while) and I allow that to distract me. I find myself giving more attention to things I am not concerned with, because no one is concerned about the same things I am. This jewel reminded how off course I have become from distractions.

The obstacle is the way. If you can overcome the obstacle of surrounding yourself with the right people, your way will be opened up to you. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts. I often feel like I am the only one listening to my own voice lol!