When I covered the teachings of the Nation of Gods and Earths in our post The Black Man Is God And Other Teachings Of The 5 Percent Nation, I introduced you to just one of the many life changing lessons from the True and Living.
But there is much more to the story of the Nation of Gods and Earths than just letters, numbers, and doctrine.
In the Black God anthology, Dr. Supreme Understanding Allah wrote “If you’ve ever met a True and Living God, you know this ain’t no game… We don’t produce no suckas or fruitcakes. We produce strong, intelligent, dedicated men, and righteous, sincere, beautiful women.”
Before I started my journey into Black Consciousness, I had never heard of The Nation of Gods and Earths. In fact, they weren’t even on my radar until I caught Jay-Z rocking their Universal Seal around his neck.
After doing some research on the symbol (which I mistakenly thought was masonic!) I started to learn more about who the Nation of Gods and Earths truly are.
Based on what I have found, I believe they have done more to evolve Black Consciousness than any other similar organization.
This article builds on why.
The Origins of the Nation of Gods and Earths
On February 22, 1928, the world was blessed with the birth of Clarence 13X, born Clarence Smith. It was him who taught the “First Born” and developed the philosophy by which the Five Percent Nation would build on.
“Allah The Father” – as he would come to be known – served as a Private First Class during the Korean War, receiving the Korean Service Medal with a Bronze Service Star and a United Nations Service Medal.
He served until 1960 and joined the Nation of Islam at Temple No. 7 upon his return to the United States.
Known for his charisma, combat ability, and speaking ability, Clarence 13X quickly rose through the NOI ranks to ultimately become a student minister.
The Nation of Islam teaches that Allah (God) appeared in the Person of Master W. Fard Muhammad, and Elijah Muhammad was his messenger.
So when a member of the Nation says that he believes that Elijah Muhammad is the messenger of God, he is also saying that W.F. Muhammad is God.
It is easy to see why anyone would disagree with the teachings of the Nation of Islam. Just two years before the assassination of Malcolm X, Clarence 13X separated from the nation.
After leaving the Nation of Islam, Clarence 13X took the name “Allah” and founded The Nation of Gods and Earths.
He taught a more practical approach to self-mastery to those that followed him out of the NOI: that every Black man and woman could develop their godliness through meditation, study, and through spiritual and physical fitness.
“Never deny yourself of being Allah. Even if the whole world denies you, its your own doubt that prevents you from becoming Allah”. – Allah the Father
To help the First Born and future generations understand their relationship to the universe, Allah The Father developed “Supreme Mathematics” – a numerological representation of divine concepts.
Each number represented a very specific concept and reflected deeper teachings:
(1) represents Knowledge, the foundation of all in existence, for it must be known in order to make it manifest
(2) represents Wisdom, the vital building block of life. Knowledge plus the reflection of Knowledge equals Wisdom (1 + 1 = 2).
(3) represents Understanding, for Knowledge plus Wisdom equals Understanding (1 + 2 = 3). If you knowledge my wisdom you will understand what I am talking about.
(4) represents Culture or Freedom (Freedom being applied to forty or more)
(5) represents Power
(6) represents Equality: Justice is accomplished when Equality is applied and Truth is manifested. Their emergence will bring about Justice.
(7) represents God, who is the Supreme Being or Black man of Asia. The Black man who has Knowledge of his Equality, can Wisdom his Power & who has an Understanding of his Culture. This is the highest elevation that any Black man can hope to achieve! GOD is the sole controller of the Universe, meaning all persons, places & things depend on Him for light (life).
(8) represents Build/Destroy: To build is to elevate the mentality of self and others around the self to add positive energy to every nation.To destroy is to ruin by allowing negativity to outweigh the positive.
(9) represents Born (to give birth to): To be born is the completion of all in existence, which is to manifest from Knowledge to Born, the law of mathematics—to be complete in itself.
(0) represents Cipher, the completion of a circle consisting of 360 degrees (120 degrees of Knowledge, 120 degrees of Wisdom, and 120 degrees of Understanding), which is a whole. All things in existence pertains to a cipher.
Supreme Mathematics were leveraged to calculate everything from the square mileage of the Earth (196,940,000 square miles), to gaining a deeper understanding of their cipher, to contemplating the totality of existence.
Like all great and revolutionary Black men of the era, Clarence 13X became the target of the U.S. government. The American Federal Bureau of Investigation kept detailed records on both Allah The Father – all of which can be read in the FBI vault.
Whether it was by the hand of the US Government or the hand of the Nation of Islam (who have a record of killing off their own former members), on June 13, 1969, Allah The Father was found shot dead in his Harlem housing project.
His death was barely investigated and his killer was never found.
After his assassination, the teachings of Allah (the Father) continued to spread and change the face of America, finding its way into mainstream Black culture and language in ways that include:
- The origins of the slang adjective “the bomb”, has its origins in the Nation of Gods and Earths term “dropping bombs” of knowledge.
- In its original use on the streets, “G” didnt mean “Gangsta”, it meant “God”.
- The Gods were a major force behind the Attica Prison uprising in 1971 (which ended when authorities agreed to 28 of the prisoners’ demands),
- The Gods were a notable peace-keeping force during the gang-plagued 80s and 90s
- The Nation of Gods and Earths had an impact on Rap and Hip Hop through artists like Rakim, Mos Def, Adisa Banjoko (co-founder of the Hip Hop Chess Federation), legendary DJ Kool Herc, Kalik Scientific, Nas, Busta Rhymes, Jay Electronica, and so many others.
The Philosophies of the Nation of Gods and Earths
The NGE is NOT a religion like the Nation of Islam, and its not an “activist” organization like the NAACP.
The teachings of the Nation of Gods and Earths is a philosophy – a way of life.
The name of the group – the Nation of Gods and Earths – refers to the philosophy that all Black men are Gods, and all Black Women are Earths.
Calling Black women “Earths” refers to the fact that the Earth is the only planet in the Solar System capable of bringing forth life.
This is reproduced exactly in the Black man’s relation to the woman.
Just as the Earth brings forth life, or fruits of the seeds that God plants – the Black woman brings forth a child from the Black man.
The group is also known as the Five Percent Nation, and here is why:
Ten percent of the people of the world know the truth of existence, and those elites opt to keep 85 percent of the world in ignorance and under their controlling thumb. The remaining percentage are those who know the truth and are determined to enlighten the rest. These are the Five Percenters.
Other teachings include the following:
1. That Black people are the original people of the planet earth
2. That Black people are the Fathers and Mothers of civilization.
3. That the science of Supreme Mathematics is the key to understanding man’s relationship to the universe.
4. That true Islam is a natural way of life, not a religion.
5. That education should be fashioned to enable us to be self-sufficient as a people.
6. That each one should teach one according to their knowledge.
7. That the Blackman is God and his proper name is ALLAH. Arm, Leg, Leg, Arm, Head.
8. That our children are our link to the future and they must be nurtured, respected, loved, protected and educated.
9. That the unified Black family is the vital building block of the nation.
How To Learn More About The Nation Of Gods And Earths
It is impossible to synopsize the volumes of teachings that the Nation of Gods and Earths have revealed to us, so if you want to go deeper, here are some ways you can learn more.
The best way to obtain right knowledge is by sitting at the feet of the Gods and Earths themselves. Travel to Allahs School In Mecca located at 2122 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd in New York, New York.
If you can’t travel to New York, the next best option are the books written by the Gods and Earths themselves. I suggest you add them to your collection.
|1||The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip-hop and the Gods of New York||141 Reviews||Save to Cart|
|2||Supreme Lessons of the Gods and Earths: A Guide for 5 Percenters to Follow As Taught by Clarence 13x…||880 Reviews||Save to Cart|
|3||Why I Am a Five Percenter||96 Reviews||Save to Cart|
Each one teaches one according to their own knowledge. If you are a God or an Earth and you are willing to offer corrections to anything you read above, leave a comment.