Table of Contents
Yoni steam is an ancient practice used to heal and vitalize the wounded womb. Yoni – a sanskrit word that means ‘sacred space’ – describes the divine procreative energy of the vulva represented by a circular stone.
Medicine in the West still hasnt caught up with the benefits of yoni steaming, but older cultures have been practicing it for generations.
I suffer from hypothyroidism (low thyroid functioning) and Menorrhagia (prolonged and heavy menses). Over the holiday season, I found myself on the sick and shut-in list. I was suffering from heavy bleeding and cramping due to hormone imbalances and low thyroid functioning. My menstrual cramps were unbearable to the point, I couldn’t sit up and participate in daily living activities. I was hyper-emotional and intolerable to be around due to the inner suffering. I was going through pads and panties like water.
I came across so many positive and honest articles about vagina steaming and the benefits of why you should steam from other brown girls who discovered a drastic change in their holistic lifestyle. I read how some have shorter and painless menses, the betterment of their fertility, and the decrease of vaginal dryness. In other words, the wet, wet came back in full effect. – XONecole
From regulating menstruation to removing toxic energy, yoni steam is a form of aromatherapy that every Black Woman should try at least once. Here is everything you need to know about yoni steaming.
What Does A Yoni Steam Do?
Yoni steaming is a form of vaginal aromatherapy that steams the feminine divine with herbs.
In the same way that eucalyptus draws mucus out of your nasal passages when you have a cold or flu, the herbs used to yoni steam detoxify both the body and the spirit by drawing out toxins and dispelling negative energies.
As the extremely absorbent vagina soaks up the steam, it will enter the bloodstream, providing direct healing to your reproductive system. Additionally, the mixture of steam and plant oils penetrates into the cervix and uterus to remove hard, accumulated menstrual fluids and toxins that have not properly been expunged by menstruation.
The herbs used in a Yoni steam usually include:
- Red Raspberry Leaf
Later in this article, I will show you how to create a custom herbal blend for your yoni steam.
How Often Should You Yoni Steam?
Lets be clear – vaginal steaming is a form of self-care. That means you should take care of your sacred space as often as you feel the need to. However, there are some times that you want to avoid steaming.
Avoid yoni steaming if you are pregnant because the herbs can cause some changes in hormones. Steaming may also cause the uterus to contract and potentially harm the fetus.
Avoid yoni steaming if you have an IUD. For starters, if you have an IUD – a small plastic intrauterine device implanted in the uterus to prevent pregnancy – you should remove it immediately. They don’t work and can damage your health.
But if you decide to keep your IUD, here is the reason that yoni steam rituals should not be done with the implant: Herbal steaming can be so powerful that the uterus will shed – and take the IUD with it.
Can You Yoni Steam on Your Period?
One of the benefits of yoni steam is that it has the power to regulate your period and relieve bloating.
BUT, you want to avoid steaming while you are on your period. The temperature and moisture speeds up your blood flow. So hold off on your rituals until before and after your cycle.
Is Yoni Steam Safe?
Not only is yoni steam safe, it is one of the best ways to show your womb some love!
Here are some tips to get the most out of your ritual:
- Keep the temperature of the steam low. After you prepare your vaginal steam herbs, let everything sit for a while until the steam is rising gently.
- Only use dried or raw herbs. You want to avoid essential oils. They are concentrated and could be too harsh for the sensitive parts of the vagina.
- Again, avoid your ritual if you are pregnant, using an IUD, or if you are on your moon cycle.
Any other time and all other conditions are completely safe. If you are ready to try vaginal steaming yourself, here is everything you need to know and do.
How to Yoni Steam at Home
There are yoni steam boutiques popping up all over the place, but I suggest you try it at home first. These spas can charge you as much as $85 for something you can – and should – be enjoying in the privacy of your own temple.
And for the price of one session, you can just buy everything you need and use it when you need to. Here is everything you need to yoni steam at home.
Get A Yoni Steam Stool
A yoni steam stool is or seat is a bottomless seat that allows you to sit comfortably while you steam. A good stool places you at the perfect distance from the surface of the water and takes the guess work out of how to position yourself.
Choose Your Yoni Steam Herbs
I am not a doctor and none of this advice should be taken in lieu of seeing a professional, but I do hold an ACHS Graduate Certificate in Herbal Medicine. Here are some formulas for you to try and some of the conditions they may be able to help with.
Menstrual Pain and Cramps
- dong quai
- melon balm
- red rose petals
- oat straw
- garden sage
- red raspberry leaf
- red clover
If you dont want to buy the herbs one at a time, here are a few blends you can try.
- YONI STEAMING: I came up with this mixture of over 40 dried herbs in my kitchen after a bout of female issues. These herbs have...
- 3-6 STEAMS: There are enough herbs for 6 steams if you use a half cup of herbs per v-steam. If you want to use a cup, there is...
- EASY TO USE: Oya's Paradise Yoni Steam Herbs are easy to use. Simply simmer a scoop of herbs in 2 quarts of water for 10 minutes...
- 100% Natural Steam Herbs Blend – Formulated with flowers, rose petals, rosemary, mugwort, yarrow leaf, motherwort, plantain and...
- Organic Vaginal Cleanse – The revitalizing steam can help reduce common menstrual cycle issues like bloating, cramping, pain, or...
- Support Reproductive Health – A natural hydrotherapy for your vagina, steaming regularly may help fortify natural fertility...
- FRESH HERBS: Our yoni steaming herbs are fresh and smell amazing. This form of hydrotherapy vaginial cleanser utilizes herbal...
- EASY TO USE: Very simple instructions that anyone can yoni steam at home. Great to get your ph balance back, help with yeast...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: After 30 min of steaming you will feel refreshed and satisfied. Our herbs can help with feminine odor and act as...
- A yoni steam is an ancient practice that provides gentle and effective support for women's wellness. (Also known as vaginal steam,...
- Use this natural remedy to reduce symptoms of PMS, regulate your cycle, improve libido, increase fertility, heal postpartum,...
- Treat yourself to this simple, enjoyable and effective herbal remedy from the comfort of home — try our convenient Yoni Steam...
How To Prepare Your Steam
Now that you have your tools, here is how to prepare your yoni steam.
First, pack your herbs in a tea ball for easy clean up.
- UNLOCK NEW FLAVORS - THE ONLY TEA STRAINER WITH ADVANCED Ultra-Mesh Technology: We tested endless iterations of micro-hole...
- UNRIVALED CRAFTSMANSHIP, UNPARALLELED VALUE: While most tea infuser sets are 304 STAINLESS STEEL ‘coated’, ours is SOLID...
- DEBRIS FREE TEA – LARGE, MEDIUM & ULTRA FINE LEAVES: Tea ball quickly unlocks the flavors any large, medium and fine tea leaf,...
Then bring about 6 cups of water to a rolling boil before you add your herbs. Let them steep for about 10 minutes and remove the herbs.
Once the steam is mild enough, pour the mixture into your steaming pot and enjoy a 20 minute steam. Wear a robe or gown long enough to drape over your seat.
Yoni rituals are about more than just physical health. Practitioners have used yoni rituals to overcome rape or other sexual trauma, energy remnants from bad partners, and unstable emotions. So your yoni steam ritual is the perfect occasion for meditation , realigning your intentions, and reflection.
Every Black woman should try yoni steaming at least once. It could be the answer that you have been looking for!